Wednesday

Alex. City Council Member Answers Questions About BRAC Traffic, I-395 HOT Lanes

Hello, Yupette.

County Board Chairman Chris Zimmerman refused to answer questions about Mark Center BRAC traffic and I-395 HOT Lanes when asked at the January 22nd County Board Meeting.

So I asked Alexandria City Council member Rob Krupicka, and here's what he said:

"Regarding HOT Lanes, I wrote the city policy opposing them. it was passed at my request by the Transportation Commission and the Council. We are closely monitoring settlement discussions over Arlington's lawsuit in order to make sure Alexandria residents are represented in any final agreements. The Mayor has had conversations with VDOT over this and will continue to the city's point person. I have put a lot of effort into and expressed my concerns about hot lanes many times> I will continue to. If there is something specific you'd like to discuss, please let me know.

Regarding BRAC, while it isn't in the location I wanted, we are making progress designing and implementing new traffic systems. We have a robust plan developed with citizen input to guide how BRAC manages its employee traffic and mass transit efforts. A series of immediate transportation fixes have been identified and are being worked on. Some require new funding which we are pursuing. The City of Alexandria has negotiated with the Army to provide and pay for new bus service that will serve BRAC employees as well as any other resident that wishes to ride the buses. And I'm co-chairing a study group looking at additional mass transit system improvements for the Beauregard and Van Dorn areas.

I'm happy to talk further. Just let me know the best way to get in touch with you.

Best Regards,

Rob Krupicka

Kristine - Fairlington